Steven M. VeenemaShareholder Boston email@example.com 617 226-3497
- Grove City College B.A., 1999
- Suffolk University Law School J.D., magna cum laude, 2007
Steve Veenema helps clients resolve complex business disputes both in and out of court, focusing primarily on issues arising among shareholder in closely held companies, litigation over intellectual property and unfair competition, and employment-related matters for both employers and employees. Steve advises companies, board members, and individual employees and shareholders across industries, including finance, high-tech, real estate, and retail. He also has notable experience litigating issues involving commercial real estate and leasing, insurance coverage, securities fraud, construction projects, and mergers and acquisitions. Steve’s intellectual property practice includes representing clients in court and before the Patent and Trademark Office and the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board in trademark prosecution, maintenance, and protection.
Before joining Murphy & King, Steve practiced at Brown Rudnick, LLP, an international law firm headquartered in Boston. Before and during law school, he worked at Copyright Clearance Center, Inc., a copyright licensing collective located in Danvers, Massachusetts.
- Won bench trial on behalf of several individual investors in securities-fraud action arising from a failed cannabis venture.
- Won expansive injunctive relief and related contempt findings in unfair-competition action involving former employees who formed competing technology company using their employer’s confidential information, and then violated the court’s orders regarding the same.
- Secured an injunction on behalf of a surgical-center tenant to stop landlord’s daytime construction activities in adjacent premises.
- Successfully defended medical device company in bet-the-company litigation over allegedly improper lease termination.
- Succeeded in dismissing claims of contributory copyright infringement against online advertising company.
- Won advantageous settlement in post-M&A litigation involving precision parts manufacturer.
- Successfully defended multiple financial advisors against former employer seeking to claw back “forgivable loan” compensation.
- Has counseled clients through all phases of closely held corporation disputes, including partnership formation and separation issues, direct and derivative actions, freeze-out situations, and valuation issues, among other things.
- Successfully resolved variety of trademark disputes both in and out of court.